The Adventures of the Sailing Vessel Air Ops, and Her Crew
The wonderful thing about Air Ops, is that she has been extremely well-cared for, by her owners of many years. Not only are Dave and Merry great people, they were both very conscientious in her upkeep. Therefore, she has relatively few things she requires, before heading offshore. Off course, she is a boat, and has a new owner….
Side project, as I continue Head renovations.
The internal lighting is a mixed bag. However, upon exploration, many of the DC powered lights are from Alpenglow lights out of Eureka, Montana. Alpenglow has an RV heritage, but with an owner who was also a sailor. www.alpenglowlights.com
When these lights fade, it is often because the compact flourescent bulbs (CFL) are nearing their end. Alpenglow has recently changed to LED’s. Of course these are much more energy efficient and will, undoubtedly, outlast me.
But the real impact is …. omg. These quality fixtures, with the new LED’s, kick out so much light!. I can finally see my nav station!
A huge shout out to Christine, at aspenglow, for their amazing product.
Aft Head Renovations
Having basically completed the Forward Head (see below; awaiting lights and medicine cabinet, a bit of trim / sealing left to do, …) I decided to see about the aft head.
The material behind the bamboo was, first of all, the 40 year old fabric. However, to my surprise, behind that was NOT solid mahogany (as had been on both forward and aft walls of the forward head), but instead, a 1/8 or 1/16 inch plywood which had areas of wetness and rot. I was able to pick some of it off with my fingers. But not all, of course. Some required the prybar. And behind that — solid fibreglass / resin! This is going to cut down on sanding, aid in waterproofing and overall form a great backing material for the tiles!
Drawer making for the aft head — of course everything must be custom built to fit.
More to come, as renovations continue….
Forward Head Renovations
We decided to start small. Or relatively so. It was still big. Here is the forward head, pre-renovation:
It was a good head. The Raritan toilet worked well, but needed a rebuild. The bamboo wall panelling was seperating in some locations. The ceiling material was sagging. The plastic sliding doors sometimes popped out. The sink was feeling it’s age.
So the demolition began:
Then the big guns had to come out — angle grinder to remove the mold and old glue from the walls, multi-tool , circular saw, jigsaw, etc. to remove shelves:
After grinding, random orbital sanding, creation of dust, mess and more dust…
Of course it is a boat, so there are no straight edges. And the top shelf needed to be closed in and the boat had to be modified to match the new shelves. So we cut backing material, then used fibreglass, then bondo, then fine material to fill in…
Buy mahogany, prep, prep more, prep again….
And now you can start to see the master plan coming together (of course the master plan changed 5 times as we had to adapt….)
This is just a list, for so I don’t forget what we did.
Iridium Go / Predict Wind
Engine Overheating / Losing Coolant / Hot Water System